Benefit Referral and Recovery
The Benefit Referral and Recovery Department takes any referrals pertaining to questionable and/or fraudulent activity regarding public assistance cases, including: cash assistance, food assistance, Medicaid and childcare assistance.
- Each referral is investigated thoroughly.
- There are 2 categories for benefit recovery. They are fraudulent activity, which is intentional and an overpayment, which has been determined by the agency not to be intentional.
- After the investigation is completed the Benefit Referral and Recovery Department will determine whether there was fraudulent activity or simply just an overpayment.
- There are 3 different determinations the Benefit Referral and Recovery Department can make regarding a referral. They are: Intentional Program Violation (IPV), Inadvertent Household Error (IHE), and Agency Error (AE).
- If the case is determined to be an Intentional Program violation the case may be referred to the Prosecutor’s Office for prosecution.
You make a referral directly to our agency or at http://jfs.ohio.gov/fraud/