FAQ's for Vicitms

Browse by Category:



General Questions

What is a No Contact Order?

A No Contact Order is an order issued by the court for the defendant in a crime to have no contact with parties, or even locations, involved in the case, as either part of their bond or as a condition of probation. 

If the order is violated as part of their bond, they could be ordered to re-appear in front of the court and their bond may be revoked.  If the order is part of their probation, the probation officer may violate their probation and a hearing set to go before the court to answer to that violation.

How can I ask to have a No Contact Order dismissed?

If you are a protected person in a No Contact Order and would like for it to be dismissed, please contact the advocate in the court of your respective case to talk through your options.

In Municipal Court, to have a No Contact Order or a Temporary Protection Order dismissed, the protected person would write a letter to the court requesting the order be dropped, with specific reasons why the order is no longer needed.  The letter is presented to the Municipal Court Clerk’s Office.  The request will be set for a hearing.  At the hearing, the defendant (with their attorney if applicable) and the protected person are present.  The judge will call the protected person forward, read the letter into the record of the court, and make a ruling upon the request.  If the Judge dismisses the order, the parties may have contact.  If he does not, the order stays in place until what time the case ends, or the order is again addressed.

In Felony Court, a No Contact Order is generally put into place at the offender's arraignment, which is the first hearing in a new case.  As a victim of crime, if you do not want an order of no contact in place, you should attend the arraignment and anticipate that the court will want to hear directly from you regarding your wishes.  Be prepared to explain why you feel the No Contact Order isn't necessary.  The Judge or Magistrate may ask you questions to determine if a No Contact Order is appropriate.  Please keep in mind that even if you state reasons why you do not need an order, the Court may still put one in place. to protect you and the parties involved  If you decide after the arraignment but before the offender is sentenced that you do not need a No Contact Order, you may need to attend the next scheduled hearing to appear and put your request and reasons on the record.  If you decide that you do not need a No Contact Order after the offender has been sentenced, please contact an advocate who may be able to advocate on your behalf to the State. A prosecutor will decide whether to file a motion requesting the order be dismissed.  If a motion is filed, the Court will review it and either keep the order in place or dismiss it.

My property was taken into evidence, how do I get that back?

Property taken as evidence will generally remain in evidence until the case is resolved and the defendant is sentenced.  In some cases, evidence will be retained pending an appeal.  If you would like to have your property returned sooner, please contact an advocate to address the issue.  Sometimes, pictures can be taken of the property and then returned to you prior to sentencing.

Victims Rights General Information

Whom can I speak with about my case?

As the victim of crime, you have a right to be kept up to date about the criminal matter.  The Union County Prosecutor's Office employs trained victim's advocates, whose role it is to communicate information to you.  

To contact your victim advocate, simply call or email the advocate assigned to the court below:

Felony matters/ Union County Court of Common Pleas  -  Cory Hamiltion  Phone: (937) 645-4168  email
Juvenile matters/ Union County Juvenile Court - Jackie Ketchum  Phone: (937) 645-4167  email
Misdemeanor matters/ Marysville Muncipal Court - Elizabeth Clark Phone (937) 645-4161  email 

If you do not know who is assigned to your case, or just have general questions, you may call our main line at (937) 645-4160. 



How can I get restitution?

You may be able to get restitution (money for losses you have suffered) from the defendant or programs designed to assist victims of crime. 

To request restituion, please go to the Request Restitution page or contact your victim advocate. 




Can I attend any and all court hearings?

In Felony Court, all hearings are open to the public and victims have a right to attend, if they choose.  If you are subpoenaed for a hearing, then you are required to be present.

In Municipal Court, all hearings are open to the public except if indicated otherwise by the court.  As a victim of crime, you have the right to be present during all hearings.  Often times during a trial, the victim may be excluded due to a request for separation of witnesses, and may not be present in the courtroom.   If you are subpoenaed, you must be present and available for the hearing.

Can I make a statement in Court?

As a victim, you have a right to be heard.

You may submit a Victim Impact Statement for the Prosecutor to consider as the case progresses and for the Judge to consider upon sentencing the defendant. A Victim Impact Statement should address two main points:

1.)  The impact of the crime.  This may include a summary of the circumstances of the criminal offense committed against the victim. It may provide information regarding: financial loss relating to restitution, including property loss, lost wages, cost of services required due to the crime (e.g., medical, dental, optical, surgical); any physical or psychological problems resulting from the crime; and, any information that the victim feels the court should know when considering the impact of the crime.

2.)  How you feel the case should be resolved, what sentence you feel is appropriate, conditions you believe would be needed as part of a sentence such as imprisonment, counseling, restitution, no contact order, etc.

Protection Orders

Where can I get the application for a protection order?

You may print the forms from our website, or if you do not have a printer, you may come to our office to obtain the application for a Civil Protection order (CPO), Civil Stalking Protection Order (CSPO), and Civil Sexually Oriented Offense Protection Order (CSOOPO). 


How long will the Temporary Protection Order last in my case?

The Temporary Protection Order (TPO) lasts the pendency of the case.  In other words, as long as the case is active.  If the defendant pleads to the charges, is found guilty, or the case becomes inactive for whatever reason, the TPO is dismissed. 

Domestic Violence

What is domestic violence?

Domestic violence is defined in Ohio Revised Code 2919.25.  That section makes it a crime for  any person to: 

(A) knowingly cause or attempt to cause physical harm to a family or household member. 

(B) recklessly cause serious physical harm to a family or household member.

(C) by threat of force, shall knowingly cause a family or household member to believe that the offender will cause imminent physical harm to the family or household member.